Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Countdown to Africa!

To say that I am excited about this trip would be a definite understatement.  I have dreamed of going on a safari for as long as I can remember.  Never imagined that it would ever happen until the day I met Erika.  I met Erika and her husband, who happens to be an avid fly-fisherman, at a yoga class several years ago.  As fate would have it, Erika is co-owner of Serengeti Pride Safaris and Kilimanjaro Climbs. Her business partner, Lema, lives in Tanzania.  So it seemed destined that a safari would be in our future -- I mean what are the odds, really???

Last spring, Geoff and I finally committed to making plans.  If not now, when? Between Erika and myself, we put together what I hope will be a memorable 10-day adventure through 2 villages, the Ngorongoro Crater, and the Serengeti.   I have also booked some cultural tours through the villages. One is with the Mulala Women's Collective near Usa River and another in Karatu through the coffee farms and village. While on safari, we have our own private jeep and guide.  No more back of the bus!

In doing my research, I came upon Tent With a View.  One of their facilities is on the East Coast of Tanzania, Saadani, bordering on Saadani National Park.  They have packages that include a trip to Zanzibar. Working with Rama, we are booked for a couple of nights in Stone Town, and then out to the beach resort in Nungwi for 5 nights.  From there we fly to Saadani for 2 nights of fly-camping with canoe trip, and then our last 3 nights at the Tent With a View lodge in our own beach hut.  There are options for more game drives - not sure if we will take them or just chill.

I have added an interactive map on the left panel.  Hopefully, I will be able to update it as we travel.  For now I have set it for our first destination - landing at Kilimanjaro airport and traveling to the lodge at  Usa River.

As always, we love getting your comments either on the blog or via email.  If you would like to be added to blog notification (whenever there is a new post) please click on the link in the left panel.  I am pretty sure most of the lodges have wifi - definitely not at the camp in the Serengeti.

All that being said, before we leave on Wednesday, there is a little thing called the Super Bowl.  Very excited our boys made it to the big show.  They don't seem to be the favorite this time around and that may be a good thing.  No matter what the outcome, we are still glad they made it this far.  GO PATS!!

Next time.... The Itinerary

4 comments:

  1. So glad you're going on the USA River. That's the Patriotic thing to do. Make sure you visit McDonald's and spend all your time/money in the USA River Mall! USA! USA!
    --Guess who?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is pronounced "Oosa" and if we see a McDonald's, we are going home!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is your dumb non techie old Aunt who needs help!Aubtie B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you both and wishing you a safe and healthy trip Missing you already Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete

Type your message in box below. Go down to COMMENT AS - hit arrow and choose your account or just click on NAME (ignore URL)or ANONYMOUS and hit PUBLISH. You should see "Your comment was published".