Since I received a comment asking for a bit more details on the packing situation, I thought I would put it in the blog instead of responding in the comment section in case anyone else is interested. The question was how many swimsuits and what to take in the event of cold weather. Guys never have these kinds of issues. Geoff throws in 2 pairs of swim trunks (I have to talk him into taking a spare!) a couple of shirts of various weights and lengths and he's done!!! I, of course, agonize over which suit - color, style, fabric. How many layers do I need to prepare for cold? and so on.
So for all you interested ladies, this is what I have packed. Three swimsuits: 2 tankinis - one heavier weight and one very, very light for the very hot days, and one bikini (no laughing) - I might be 60 put I am not dead - besides nobody our age can see anymore.
If you have looked at the temperature app on the left panel, you will notice that it shouldn't be cold too often. However, the Serengeti and Crater temps may vary, especially at night. I am leaving the fleece behind (which is what I usually take on the plane). Instead, I have replaced it with a lightweight water resistant jacket from EMS (I have had this for years) - I think this will be more practical than a bulky fleece. A lightweight sweater which I also wear on the plane over a collared lightweight short sleeved t-shirt - so I can shed layers as we travel. I wear all this with a pair of non-wrinkle EMS travel pants that roll up into capris. In the duffel, I have a long sleeve biking pullover and turtle neck, if the temps really dip. I also pack a bug-free button down long sleeve to wear over a t-shirt or by itself. In the event that we should go somewhere special (it will be Valentine's Day after all), I have a nicer long sleeve non-wrinkle jacket and a short sleeve cover. I have also packed 2 sundresses (that literally roll up in a ball with no wrinkles). The go-everywhere Marmot rain jacket (no rain pants this time) is always tossed in - in the hopes that it won't be needed - HA! The rest is shorts, tiny t's, and my traveling underwear from ExOfficio - which I absolutely love!! Washes and dries in no time flat.
To finish it all off there is, sunscreen, bug repellent, drugs for malaria, vitamins (individually wrapped in tiny zip lock bags for daily disbursal), first aid kt, and my trusty sun visor and I am all set.
So that's it - lots of choices for lots of options. Which doesn't count out that somewhere, sometime, I will not have the one thing I will absolutely need. It is inevitable.
Hope this helps anyone else who has had the packing dilemma. No matter how many times I do it, I feel like I am just doomed to agonize over it all. However, somehow I manage to make it out the door and onto the plane. After that - que sera sera - whatever will be will be.
Once again ... GO PATS!!
Next time... Superbowl Champs??

Guys never have these packing issues because they're guys! (with all due respect)
ReplyDeleteThree swimsuits sounds about right. I could never go anywhere without my fleece, but that's just me. My husband tells me I would be wearing a down jacket in Florida (he's probably right).
Can't wait to hear but your flights to your first destination--I hope things were uneventful. Still no snow here HOORAY!!!
One month until I leave for Mexico. Time is thankfully flying by.