Friday, March 2, 2012

The Road Home

Arrived in Amsterdam for the third time in 6 months, safe and sound.  The hotel in Dar did turn out to be the Paradise, although there were many other names around the place. The cab driver that took us to the hotel in Dar,came back for us at around 9pm. The charge for the day room was $55 - not bad and worth the shower and peace and quiet. We went to the restaurant and had a light meal before heading back to the airport. No traffic this time. Still had plenty of time to sit and wait before departure. On this flight we sat in the "extra comfort" seats, so life wasn't as bad as it could have been on board. The two of us were so exhausted, having started the day way back when with a canoe paddle and then another bumpy game drive, we slept most of the way here.

I will do a thorough wrap up when I get home, but this has been one of the best trips yet. Although that is a hard decision to make since they are all quite different. Let's say it met and went far beyond our expectations.

As with the Seregenti Pride Safaris group, we would like to thank the Tent with a View group - from ownership, to management, to the great staff. We had no idea what would be in store for us both in Zanzibar and in Saadani and it all worked out so great with absolutely no hassle or effort on our part.

So here we sit with yet another 4 hour layover. We have good seats on this flight, as well, so I am not panicking. Speaking of panic, I did have a slight melt down for about 2 minutes when we got to the Paradise Hotel in Dar. I was negotiating a room while G was dealing with the taxi driver. G comes into the hotel - I said I got the room and asked him if he paid the driver. "No, he said to pay him in total when he takes us back to the airport." Pretty trusting I thought. Then I looked around and didn't see our luggage and the cab was long gone. Maybe you heard me shrieking from where you were - because I went into a tail spin in the middle of reception. I said sure he didn't want any money he has all our luggage! (Of course, it is just a bunch of dirty clothes) These poor people at the desk who barely spoke English, thought I was nuts. It only lasted about 2 minutes until we noticed our bags by the elevator waiting to go up. I guess you can take the girl out of New York but you can't take New York out of the girl.

Next time... Be It Ever so Humble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your message in box below. Go down to COMMENT AS - hit arrow and choose your account or just click on NAME (ignore URL)or ANONYMOUS and hit PUBLISH. You should see "Your comment was published".